Home | The Towns | Articles | Calendar | Search | Advertise
Shopping | Dining

Your Complete Fox Valley Internet Guide.

   

More About
St Charles

Dining
Shopping
Services
Lodging
Things to Do

 

The Hotel Baker along the Fox RiverIn 1836, the first dam was completed in what was then Charleston.  It was a great source of power to grind flour and cut wood, both necessary to a growing town which, in 1839 changed its name to St. Charles. 1857 saw an iron bridge constructed across the Fox River, replacing several failed wooden ones, during a time when the city experienced great growth, aided by the influx -- not unlike sister city Geneva to the south -- of hard-working Swedish immigrants. The years of 1920-1940 brought now-familiar names like the Cable Piano Factory and Moline Malleable, Hotel Baker and Arcada Theatre to St. Charles, the philanthropic contributions of the Gates, Norris and Baker families.   

  Property Information
  Best Western Inn
  Country Inns & Suites By Carlson
  Courtyard by Marriott
  Fairfield Inn & Suites
  Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago/St. Charles
  Hilton Garden Inn St. Charles
  Pheasant Run Resort
  Super 8 St. Charles
 

 

 

 

 

 

 Contact Us | Press/Media | Link to OTF | Privacy

OntheFox.com is owned and maintained by Northern Sky Designs, LLC
Copyright � 1998-2015 All Rights Reserved; Legal Disclaimer 

VigLink badge

www.onthefox.com | www.onthelake.net | www.onthepacific.com | www.franklloydwrightsites.com | www.yourscienceteacher.com