Oswego, Illinois

The year was 1835, and to the south of what is present-day Aurora, local Pottawatomie, Ottawa, and Chippewa tribes still officially owned the land along the Fox River on which two newly-arrived businessmen laid out a new village.  Located about fifty miles west of Chicago at an easy crossing of the river where it was joined by Waubonsie Creek in Kendall County, the village of Hudson -- later to be named Oswego -- was founded.  Ever since Decoalia Towle and his wife Elizabeth established an inn and tavern at Oswego on the road to that crossing, the city has been growing.  

Little White School in Oswego

Railroads provided an initial boost to the local economy first in 1870 and then again in 1900. An abundance of automobiles and new roads later added to Oswego's role as a transportation hub. The population has grown from about 3,900 in 1990 to well over 25,000 in 2006... and the growth shows no signs of slowing as the city expands in all four directions. Oswego now straddles both sides of the Fox River; continuing and rapid economic development, growth and abundant opportunity have become the city's trademarks.

Located in Kendall County, Oswego, Illinois is situated along the Fox River towards the southern end of the Fox Valley. Ever since Decoalia Towle and his wife Elizabeth established an inn and tavern at Oswego (circa 1837), the city has been growing. Three early roads -- one from Joliet to Galena (using the ford across the river), one from Chicago to Ottawa and a third that followed the Fox River north from Ottawa -- passed through Oswego contributed to that growth. In the 1990s, growth accelerated; the population has more than doubled between 2000 and 2010 and village limits extended west of the Fox River for the first time in its history, also spreading east and north to U.S. Route 30...

Shop

Dine

Stay

Play

Oswego shop